ClearView RC Flight Simulator Forum Index ClearView RC Flight Simulator
User Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying Sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClearView RC Flight Simulator Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rckowal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Flying Sites Reply with quote

Is there a way to horizontally rotate the view of the flying site? For example, Vaca Valley RC has a runway that crosses the screen horizontally from left to right. I would like to turn it so the runway is vertical - top to bottom of screen.
skirtz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume this is not attempt for bad joke. Some monitors have drivers that will allow you to set the monitor vertically. Windows will show up everything properly. In that case, you will be able to run ClearView on monitor that is vertical.

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
rckowal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skirtz wrote:
I will assume this is not attempt for bad joke. Some monitors have drivers that will allow you to set the monitor vertically. Windows will show up everything properly. In that case, you will be able to run ClearView on monitor that is vertical.

Stefan

No, it's not a bad joke! Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to rotate the monitor - just change the landscape itself.

I have a very difficult time trying to fly a pattern over Vaca Valley RC runway then land on it. I believe this is due to the lack of a third dimension (depth) in viewing scenes on a monitor. I'm wondering if changing the orientation of that runway by 90 degrees will help to overcome this?
sbernas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some video card has option to rotate the picture 90' CW or CCW. Mine, it's an ATI card, it's in the Catalyst Control Center.
Check your display properties, under the advance tab
rckowal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbernas wrote:
Some video card has option to rotate the picture 90' CW or CCW. Mine, it's an ATI card, it's in the Catalyst Control Center.
Check your display properties, under the advance tab

But that would make the plane be taking off straight up - rather than horizontally. Visualizing what I want is like turning your body sideways so the plane is taking off away from you - not to the left or right. Or said otherwise, turn the landscape 90 degrees - not the monitor or the image on the screen of the monitor.
skirtz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will suggest to load Osage Park. You can fly away from yourself if that is what you want to do.

Stefan
rckowal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skirtz wrote:
I will suggest to load Osage Park. You can fly away from yourself if that is what you want to do.

Stefan

Yes, flying away from myself is what I want to do. However, I want to take off & land on a clearly defined runway, rather than a grassy field. Is there no way to do so in ClearView?
skirtz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can do many things with ClearView, including adding a runway in Osage Park. However, what you try to do - standing in a middle of runway and flying away from you and landing directly at you is clearly not advisable in the "real world". It will be dangerous to you and the others. You must stand on the side of the runway, in some distance. That is what CelarView is teaching you to do. You want is to modify a teching tool (ClearView) so you learn something the wrong way. That is not the best approach. You will be betterr off to you use Vacca Valley the way it is and learn to take off and land properly.

Stefan
sbernas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why the runway has a white line to guide pilot steer the model take off and landing
rckowal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skirtz wrote:
One can do many things with ClearView, including adding a runway in Osage Park. However, what you try to do - standing in a middle of runway and flying away from you and landing directly at you is clearly not advisable in the "real world". It will be dangerous to you and the others. You must stand on the side of the runway, in some distance. That is what CelarView is teaching you to do. You want is to modify a teching tool (ClearView) so you learn something the wrong way. That is not the best approach. You will be betterr off to you use Vacca Valley the way it is and learn to take off and land properly.

Stefan

I am quite familiar with the proper way to take off & land on real world runways. Additionally, I understand what you're saying but once the plane is in the air, I can't locate the runway to land on it.

In the real world we have three dimensional depth perception so one is able to fly over, then approach & land on the runway. Maybe some one can tell me how to find then line up the model over the Vaca Valley runway when the ground or the runway is not in view, then fly over it, make the final approach & land?

If there is a way, I haven't found it.
rckowal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbernas wrote:
that's why the runway has a white line to guide pilot steer the model take off and landing

Taking off on the white line is a "no brainer" but tell me how you find the white line or the runway when they aren't in view on the screen?
ggunners

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rckowal wrote:
In the real world we have three dimensional depth perception so one is able to fly over, then approach & land on the runway. Maybe some one can tell me how to find then line up the model over the Vaca Valley runway when the ground or the runway is not in view, then fly over it, make the final approach & land?

If there is a way, I haven't found it.

I found using the view called, "keep the ground in view" to help tremendously on lining up for a landing. One problem with any sim is projecting a 3D scene onto a 2D screen. Only 3D glasses will help and the background would need to be rendered in 3D for this to work.
rckowal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan,

How about arranging the runway so it's diagonal on the screen (FMS does it). I find this is much easier to take off & land on than the way ClearView displays the runway.
skirtz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With "Ground in View" you clearly see the ground very well, provided plane is flying landing pattern. The ground features clearly tell you where is the runway. You indeed have to be familiar with landmarks near the runway, so you know where the plane is in relation to the runway. This is the same as in the real life - your eyes are fixed on the model, and you see the ground features in your peripheral view. Based on that your mind creates perception where the model is in relation to the ground.

This has nothing to do with 2d/3d, simulator or real life. If some can proficiently and consistently land a plane in the real life, he will land it in the simulator. If he can proficiently and consistently land a plane in the simulator, he will able to land a plane in real.

Stefan
rckowal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan,

I don't have any trouble at all consistently landing the plane on a grassy field. My problem is that I haven't been able to locate runways to land it on.

Regardless, I just tried your suggestion to use "ground in view" & found that it helps. Maybe more "stick time" will teach me how to put it on the white line every time.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ClearView RC Flight Simulator Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: